At Paisley Park, Green Gully SC and Altona Magic SC battled to a tense 0-0 draw in a match that saw both teams struggle to convert their chances into goals despite numerous opportunities. This result comes on the heels of Green Gully’s revitalising 2-0 victory over Heidelberg United, which had reignited their finals aspirations.

The game started with an energetic pace as both sides aimed to assert dominance early. Matthew Crooks of Green Gully tested the keeper with a powerful long-range effort five minutes into the match. Almost immediately afterwards, Altona responded with a flurry of activity around the Gully goal, prompting two quick saves from Liam Driscoll and a crucial clearance by captain Taylor Schrijvers, setting the tone for what would be a closely fought contest.

The first half continued to see-saw as both teams created but failed to capitalise on, their chances. Gianluca Iannucci missed a potential opening for Gully at the 19-minute mark with a shot off-target. Shortly thereafter, Altona’s Bul Juach found himself racing toward goal after a defensive error, but his shot was pressured wide by Crooks’ timely intervention.

As the half progressed, Shifa Ahmed and Adolph Koudakpo both had attempts for Gully that missed the mark, with Koudakpo‘s shot on target at the 39th minute being one of the more notable efforts that failed to break the deadlock.

The second half mirrored the first in terms of missed opportunities and intense midfield battles. Altona’s Darcy Anastovski skied a promising shot in the 55th minute, and Gully’s substitutions tried to inject some fresh energy into the match, with Luca Tevere coming on for Shifa Ahmed shortly after, a strategic move to change the dynamics of the game.

Tevere made an immediate impact, and his curling effort in the 82nd minute nearly found the top corner, highlighting Gully’s growing desperation to find a breakthrough. The final minutes saw Jamie Latham test the Altona keeper with a strong shot from just outside the box and a dramatic sequence in stoppage time where Justin Spiteri’s well-struck shot was parried by the keeper only for Tevere’s follow-up to be blocked amidst a scramble in the six-yard box.

Ultimately, the match ended as it started, with neither side able to find the back of the net. The draw reflects both teams’ resilience and defensive organisation but also underscores their current challenges in finishing